Thursday, January 21, 2010

A New Life's resolution - Day #18 (Intellectual)

If you're just joining us, check out the explanation of my "New Life Resolution"

Day #18 - Intellectual

According to www.definitionofwellness.com, "The intellectual dimension of wellness encourages creative, stimulating mental activities. An intellectually well person uses the resources available to expand one's knowledge in improved skills along with expanding potential for sharing with others. An intellectually well person uses the intellectual and cultural activities in the classroom and beyond the classroom combined with the human resources and learning resources available within the university community and the larger community."

I love poker.  Specifically Texas Hold'em.  It's my drug of choice.  In some ways, it's like chess in that it may only take 10 minutes to learn the basic rules, but it can take a lifetime to master the strategy of it.

I generally play in two games a month.  One of those is a small game at my house on the first or second Thursday of the month.  For me, these games are intellectual acrobatics.  I like mathematical challenge of figuring out what are the "nuts" for a given hand or how likely it is that the guy I'm up against actually has the cards to beat me.

I know some people frown upon poker as gambling, but for me, gambling is pulling the arm on a slot machine.  Anyone can do that and the odds are stacked against you.  Poker is different.  Anyone can get lucky, but it takes a real student of the game to get really good.  Hopefully I'm on my way some day.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin