Saturday, April 14, 2007

Date Night #1 - Tibbs Drive-In Theater

Recently Troy and I have been commenting on how we often feel like we are stuck in a rut doing the same things day after day and week after week. We go to the same jobs every day, do the same work at those jobs, eat the same food, see the same people and experience the same adventures. (Or lack of adventures, really.)

In an effort to break ourselves out of the rut, at least for a few hours every month, I posed the idea of a surprise date night. There are only a few stipulations. 1) We each plan one outing per month, 2) it is kept a secret from the person who has not planned it until the event is actually taking place and 3) it can cost no more than $10 per person.
I was pleasantly surprised when Troy volunteered to plan our first adventure! He is quite good at the details on these sorts of things and has a great imagination, so I new I wouldn't be disappointed. All week long I tried to imagine what he might pick for our inaugural Date Night. I racked my brain and even tried guessing a few things. He was like Fort Knox! Other than telling me it was in the Indianapolis metropolitan area, I had no idea where we were going or what we were going to do.

After a lovely dinner at the Flying J on the southwest side of Indianapolis (Hey! Don't knock it until you try it. These people feed hungry truck drivers for a living! They know a thing or two about food!), we headed north on 37. Troy had printed all of the driving directions from the Flying J to our destination. He had also printed off the weather. (Did I mention he was good at the details?) He told me to look for Raymond Street and said that we would be heading left on it. I thought, LEFT? That takes us
further west and there is nothing on the west side of Indianapolis. (I might be a little biased since I live on the eastside and only actually ever engage in activities on the east side or downtown generally.) I said to him, "What's on the west side? The only thing I can think of is the drive-in theater." He said, "Oh really? Is there a drive-in over here?" I mentioned that my friend Stacey had told me about it last summer, but I didn't remember exactly where it was located. After we turned on Raymond street, he told me that the next thing we were looking for was Tibbs. I said, "It IS the drive-in isn't it?" Once he said the name of the road, I remembered where the drive-in was. He finally caved and said I was right and mentioned that I had actually guessed it right the night before when I had been throwing out different ideas. I was thrilled with his choice for our adventure! What a great choice!

We arrived early since the movie didn't start until 8:30 (previews at that point since it wasn't quite dark yet), so we had plenty of time to find a good parking spot for optimal screen viewing and made our way to the concession stand. The little cartoon characters from Grease kept going through my mind singing, "Let's all go the movies. Let's all go the movies. Let's all go the movies and have ourselves a snack." ;-)

It was full of all the normal movie fare and more. There was hot dogs and nachos, popcorn and soda. It was a junk-food lovers dream! Fortunately we had eaten dinner before the movie! Shew!

Our feature presentation for the evening was "Meet the Robinsons." It's a Disney cartoon aimed at kids but it was cute enough. It had a great moral, lively characters and a few witty lines. The only part when we thought this film was really aimed at kids was when they sort of frenetically introduced all the members of the family (it was quite large). It was sort of like watching nonsensical pictures flash across the screen hundreds at a time. I was certain my elderly brain would explode!

For the price of $9/per person for adults, we could have seen a double feature, but the second movie was "Wild Hogs". We chose not to stay for it because 1) we've seen it and once is MORE than enough even for those of us who are motorcycle lovers and 2) we are OLD and it started at 10 PM. WAAAY past our bed times!

Overall, I give the Drive-in Movie date night 4 1/2 kisses out of 5. It was innovative and definitely required some thinking out of the box. It was cozy and comfortable. We took my car and all we had to do was tune it to a certain radio station. There are no more speakers hanging off of car windows. Welcome to the 21st century! We had snacks, cozy seats, a couple of blankets in case it got a bit chilly. I got to take my shoes off (you wouldn't want to do THAT in a regular theater!) and we even got to bring Sisko, the wonder-pooch along! (I think he was more interested in what was showing on the other screens.)

If you wanna give it a try yourself, you can visit http://www.tibbsdriveintheater.com. Showtimes, coming attractions and ticket prices are all there. Enjoy!

2 comments:

kieron said...

nice pics!

kieron said...

I thought the limit was $10 per person?

re # 53: 9/8

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin