Friday, February 15, 2013

Lent: Project #1

I grew up in the Lutheran church and because the denomination originally branched off from the Catholic church, many followers give up something for the season of Lent. In the past, I've given up chocolate, soda, complaining, etc etc etc. In some years I've also added an activity (prayer, exercise, etc) to each day. 


Although I now consider myself more spiritual than religious, some habits die hard. At this point, my life and schedule has become so hectic (as evidenced by my virtual MIA status on here) I think giving something up would be easy. Instead, I've decided to challenge myself by adding an activity to my schedule.

I'll use the time that I spend on that activity in a sort of meditation in the way I've heard many people do with household chores they don't like. I'll give my thoughts during that time up to the universe and ask that she bless the work of my hands and the results of my actions.


So, what activity am I adding? Sewing. I enjoy sewing quite a bit, but I've bitten off quite a bit in the last 6 months and it's time to start whittling down that To Do list! My plan is to spend at least 20 minutes each day sewing. Wish me luck because at this point, there are some days where finding 20 minutes to eat is a struggle!

Projects on my To Do list (Sewing Edition):
  • Old sweater to new pillow
  • Napkin pillows (X 4)
  • T-shirt quilt - Haley
  • T-shirt quilt - Erin
  • T-shirt quilt - IU
  • T-shirt quilt - Car emergency blanket
  • Charity quilt
  • Crown Royal quilt
  • Brown/pink lap quilt for bedroom
  • Brown/pink fleece tied blanket
  • Red/Black lap quilt for living room
  • Red/Black fleece tied blanket
  • Comforter fix/transformation
  • Car seat covers
  • Xmas gift for Chris #1
  • Xmas gift for Chris #2
  • Madi's quiet books (X2)
  • "Ballistic vest" for Madi
  • Cover wire-framed "baskets"
  • (other items to be added as I remember them)
Whew!! That is quite a list when I write it all down!


True to my word, I got started promptly on Ash Wednesday. Last night I finished up the first project. Yay!

 









I had a black cashmere sweater that is so soft and that I LOVED. I bought it about 10 years ago and basically wore it until I discovered a hole under the arm a few months back. I was crushed!!

I try not to be a hoarder, but I decided that rather than get rid of it, I would keep it and see if there was anything I could do with it. A few days ago, I was thinking about pillows for my living room. The room has black furniture and red walls and I thought that a cashmere pillow would make a lovely addition to the room.

Since I already had pillow forms at my house, I cut off the offensive holey sleeves, stitched up the bottom, sides and top, added a piece of fabric that I already had laying around as a little bow and popped the new addition on the couch. Doesn't she look so pretty? Total cost? $0.00. Yay!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin