Friday, July 11, 2008

My own personal PSA

Bad News/Good News:

Bad News
: So yesterday, I did a stupid thing and accidentally left my newest cell phone (which I just got at the beginning of May) on a flower bed bench that I was sitting on. It was there for maybe 15 minutes, max. When I went back to retrieve it, it was gone. When Troy tried to call it to see if maybe I had put it in my bag or it had fallen into the bushes, someone "answered", he heard gibberish and then they hung up. Despite my repeatedly trying to call it back, no one answered again. I don't get new phones very often and I try to keep very close tabs on mine, so it felt a bit like I'd been displayed naked in the town square and beaten. It was the new Envy2 with the great full keypad for texting and I liked it a LOT!

Good News
: Luckily Troy has Verizon as well and they have a neat feature where you can dial *611 from any Verizon phone and cancel service on a phone. So, I did that right away. Luckily I also have the insurance ($4.99 a month (ugh)), so I called them this morning and I should have a brand new replacement phone by tomorrow afternoon! Then I just have to go and have the service reconnected to the phone, I think.

Even Better News
: In the course of trying to find the customer service number for Verizon online today, I found they have a great new feature where you can back up your contact lists directly from your phone. That way if it is lost, stolen, damaged, etc and you aren't able to take it into a Verizon vendor and have them move the contacts from your old phone to a new one, they can download it to your new phone. This is a genius idea! How many people have had this exact situation happen to them? If they are anything like me, without their phone, they don't know how to contact anyone. I remember when I was a kid, I had everyone's number memorized. Now I can barely remember my own if I don't have my phone with me. Unfortunately this backup doesn't work for me right now since I didn't do it, but luckily I still have my old phone and will be able to transfer the numbers that way.

So, here's my own personal Public Service Announcement to all of my readers. If you have a Verizon Wireless phone and service, go online right now and back up your contact list!!! If this can help one person, then my job here is done. http://www.verizonwireless.com

1 comment:

kieron said...

Tkx for the tip, H!

It doesn't work with my (Verizon) phone model, but maybe with my next one!

Here's a more direct link:

https://products.vzw.com/index.aspx?id=fnd_toolsapps_detail&appId=2033494

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin