Thursday, December 24, 2009

How does Santa know what to bring for you?


Around my house, asking for gifts is sometimes a bit of a pain.  First, I think it's because I feel like the things I want might be too expensive sometimes and second, most of the time, if I really want something, I just go and buy it myself once I save up the money.

Troy and I do gift exchanges with his family.  We used to do them with mine as well, but we're on a bit of a hiatus because of the economy.  Trying to get ideas out to others in a timely manner was always a bit of a challenge.  Thank goodness for email.  Now we just email our lists to the other family members and we're usually able to avoid duplicates by keeping each other informed of our purchases.  So far it's worked out well.

The evolution of gift-giving between Troy and myself has been interesting.  In the beginning we started with a $25 limit (which I never stuck to :-( ).  A few years ago we raised the limit and he got me a motorcycle manual which was very useful but kind of falls right in line with getting a kitchen appliance as a gift.  Useful, yes.  Romantic and touching, no.  Of course, I fell down on the job last year when I got him pajama pants that he was less than thrilled with.  They weren't on his list, so in his estimation, I should have known better than to get them.

This year I've once again gone "off list" with my gift choice(s).  Troy and I were discussing our (potential) gift purchase for one another and he advised that I should just "stick to his list".  I personally think I've made an excellent gift choice for him this year.  I also think that perhaps gift-giving shouldn't be like fulfilling a requisition order.  I think part of gift-giving is about showing the person you really know them and care for them.

So I gave him a choice.  (He said it was like Monty Hall's "Let's Make a Deal", but I don't remember a goat being anywhere in the room and I definitely wasn't wearing a silly costume.)  I told him his choices were:  1) I could tell him what the gift was, but he would no longer be receiving that gift from me or 2) he could take his chances with the gift I had chosen.  He (wisely) chose option #2.  We'll see how he feels about his choice on Christmas afternoon.

So, how do you do the whole "gift exchange" thing?  Do you have a list?  Do you drop hints?  Maybe you have a better way of approaching this than we do.  If so, I'd love to hear how it gets done.

5 comments:

Brandy said...

Gifts are a tricky thing. I always feel like my husband gets me so much more than I get him; however I give him a list with items of varying prices. The surprise is in which items he will choose to buy me. He does not give me a list and I'm left to my own devices when in reality neither of us need anything. :)

I would rather get you something you want/need then to surprise you so a list is the answer to my prayers.

Anonymous said...

My husband likes it when I give him a list of things that I want. I don't mind a few ideas for him, but I find it to be more fun when I give him something that he didn't ask for. I guess we're also like Brandy as we don't really need anything anyways.

Stopping in from SITS.

Queenie Jeannie said...

My husband got our first Christmas to shop for me alone. He sucked. BAD!! So now I buy my own stuff, wrap it, and HE is surprised. And I'm happy. Works for us, lol!!

Happy New Year and thank you for visiting me on my special SITS Day!

Not Everyones Mama said...

I never know what to get my husband. He usually gets himself whatever he wants. This year he got shoes. LOL I think it was his favorite present ever. These funky long pointy yet straight edged across the toe shoes that I hate.

Swinging in from SITS!

Holly @ Domestic Dork said...

I keep a list of things I'd like and the ManDork can pick something off the list if he's stumped, or come up with something himself.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin