Friday, July 24, 2009

Get rid of 101 items I own (1/101)

I think that purging ourselves of those things that are not adding value to our lives is an important "chore" that we should engage in often to keep ourselves mentally and physically healthy. For me, too much stuff around me makes me a little crazy...well a little crazier than usual.

In an effort to keep myself as sane as possible, I've decided to get rid of some stuff. The first victim of my purging? The first car I ever bought. A 1999 Mercury Mystique. I bought it in 2000 when it had about 25,000 miles on it. Over the course of the next 9 years or so, I put another 100,000 miles on it. In 2005, I was rear-ended in it while riding as a passenger. Despite the horrendous damage to the trunk and rear bumper and nearly constant nagging from my parents and brother, I still drove it until December of 2008. After all, it was paid for and the engine was still in excellent condition. When I bought my new car in December, I didn't get rid of the old one. Instead, I parked it in my garage "just in case". Just in case of what, I'm not sure.

Last week (more than 6 months after I bought the new car), I decided that perhaps the Mystique had served its purpose and I was tired of it taking up space in my garage. I considered selling it to the junk yard or donating it to charity, but instead I decided to list it privately on www.cars.com. I've never sold a car, so I made sure to do my homework as to its worth and the appropriate paperwork that should be completed. I'm happy to say that after only a week of being listed online, I sold it for the full asking price. Yeah!

I don't think the other 100 items I purge will probably be quite so big. It feels good to have it out of my garage and off of my insurance.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin