Thursday, July 30, 2009

Why lie?

As a way of sharing a bit, I've been having weekly visits with a psychologist for the past 4 years or so. It's not an easy thing to do, but I think self-awareness and discovery are key if we are to become whole human beings who are caring and compassionate with one another.

Recently I've been working on being kinder to myself. I'm OFTEN very hard on myself about any number of things. I think it's a way of picking myself apart and tearing myself down before others get a chance to do it. Perhaps I think if I say mean things to myself then when other people think or say means things about me it won't hurt. Unfortunately all that happens is I end up feeling hurt twice as much.

I learned a long time ago that I don't like it when life is complicated and, for me, lying makes life complicated. You have to keep track of who you told what story to and if you've been caught lying and then want someone to believe you when you tell the truth, it makes it very difficult for them to do so.

So why do we lie? How do we act/respond when other people lie to us? If we find out someone has been lying to us, is it wrong to feel we simply need to exorcise them from our lives as a way of preserving and loving ourselves?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin