Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Lent Day 8: A new life for old t-shirts

I talked a little bit yesterday about how much more I've been able to get done around my house since I'm not spending my time playing video/online games.  Well, the trend of checking off items from my list continues!

A few months (egad!) I cleaned out my t-shirt drawer when I found it was difficult to put the clean ones away.  What's up with t-shirts?  I swear they multiply like rabbits!  Do a charity event - get a t-shirt!  Win a contest - get a t-shirt!  They are everywhere!  Anywooo...

I hardly ever actually wear t-shirts (long story starting when I was younger - a garment with writing on it displayed on the chest of a VERY self-conscious well-endowed teenage girl.  ugh!).  So I cleaned out my t-shirt drawer and got rid of quite a few of some of the ones that were torn or stained, etc.  The problem is that there were a few of them that I really liked because of what they said or where they came from.  What's a girl to do?  I know!  Make some t-shirt grocery bags!  Yay!  I didn't do a tutorial because there are TONS of them out there and really, it's such an easy thing.  With a little sewing knowledge, it can be done in just a few simple steps!

1)  Cut each of the sleeves off at the joining seam.
2)  Turn the shirt inside out and stitch the opening at the bottom together.
3)  Lay the shirt flat and use a bowl to trace a larger opening around the neck.
4)  Turn it right-side out and you're done!

(I took some crappy ok photos of them, but I'll have to add them later since I forgot to upload them.  Oops!)

I'm looking forward to even more sewing in the next few weeks.  I'll keep you posted on my progress and take some better pictures this time!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin