Saturday, August 15, 2009

Compare and contrast

Ok, I'm exhausted after spending all day teaching my mad crafting skills to the masses, so I'm gonna make this short and sweet. Well, maybe it won't be sweet.

After an entire (8:30 AM to 10:45 PM!) day at Gen Con, I have observed a couple of things. First, I'll give them this: the Gen Con attendees are quite creative. The number and complexity of the costumes that people were wearing was amazing. There was everything from women in renaissance dresses to men wearing Ghost Busters gear complete with those big chunky ghost catching backpacks. Of course, there were also women dressed in sparkly bikinis with elfen ears. Interesting.

In addition to Gen Con going on in downtown Indy this evening, there was also a pre-season Colts game. Colts football fans and Gen Con attendees in the same 3 block area! If ever there were 2 more vastly different groups, I'm not sure what they would be. On the surface it may not seem like they have much in common, but I think they actually do. First, there is the uniform. For the Colts fans, it's the blue jerseys. For the Gen Con attendees, it's elfen ears, "gaming" t-shirts and kilts. These uniforms let people know who is "in" and who is "outside of" their groups. (Don't ask me about the kilts. I don't get the connection to gaming, but never-the-less, they were there in abundance.)

Both groups also have their own language. For the Colts fans, it's insider football speak and for the Gen Coners, it's gaming speak. I'd give you better examples, but I'm not really a card-carrying member of either group.

So, what's the "uniform" or your people?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin