Thursday, August 13, 2009

Get your geek on!

This weekend my friend, C, and I will be getting our geek on down at Gen Con. No, we won't be mingling with the Dungeons and Dragons gaming geeks unless they happen wander down to our crafting area. Instead, we'll be keeping their spouses and girlfriends occupied teaching them crafts and sharing some "girl time" while the boys (mostly) spend their time drooling over all that is new and shiny and exciting in the world of gaming.

Now before you scoff at their perceived silliness and nerdiness, perhaps we should take a look at ourselves. I think everyone gets "geeked" about their own particular interests. There's a camaraderie that gets formed when you find a group of people who are excited by the same things that excite you. For instance, I love going to the BMW motorcycle rallies. Why? Because I get to be myself. When I dress in my pink motorcycle jacket, pink helmet and (less than attractive) motorcycle boots out in the real world, people stare and perhaps think I look silly. When I'm at the rally, they ask me where I got such cool gear and, in fact, if you AREN'T wearing safety gear, YOU are the outcast. That's my crowd. Those are my peeps. Does everyone fit in there? No. Would I fit in at a Harley-Davidson rally? Most assuredly, no!

So if you happen to be in downtown Indy this weekend and see some slightly awkward looking folks wandering around, don't stare. Don't scoff. Perhaps if you've got a bit of time to spare, come on into the convention center and check things out. You never know what might pique your interest. As they say, don't knock it til you've tried it. Perhaps if you're lucky you'll even witness a bit of larping. That's definitely not something you want to miss!

Get out and get living!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin