Saturday, March 13, 2010

A New Life's resolution - Day #55 (Social)

If you're just joining us, check out the explanation of my "New Life Resolution"

Day #55 - Social

According to www.definitionofwellness.com, "The social dimension of wellness encourages contributing to one's human and physical environment to the common welfare of one's community. Social Wellness emphasizes the interdependence with others and nature. It includes the pursuit of harmony in one's family. As you travel a wellness path, you'll become more aware of your importance in society as well as the impact you have on nature and your community. You'll take an active part in improving our world by encouraging a healthy living environment and initiating better communication with those around you. You'll actively seek ways to preserve the beauty and balance of nature along the pathway."

There have been more times in my life that I have been socially unhealthy than I would like to remember. 

When I was in college and moved from dorm life to living off-campus, I desperately missed the friendships that were so easily started and maintained in the dorms.  It was routine to leave your room door open and people would just pop by to chat as they walked down the hall.  Living in a townhouse off-campus definitely didn't lend itself to those sorts of interactions anymore.

After college, I moved to Indianapolis where I didn't know a soul and spent many a lonely weekend holed up in my apartment before I found new friends and activities to fill my social calendar.

For me, the path to social wellness is, once again, in reaching a state of balance.  I definitely need other people in my life, but I also need some "alone" time to recharge.  After a day of working and playing with other people, it's nice to have some time to veg in front of the TV or dig into a good book all by myself.  On the other hand, after a day spent in grungy clothes cleaning my house by myself, getting dressed up and going out for dinner and drinks with friends is just what the doctor ordered.

The other thing that I consider when trying to get myself socially healthy is what my soul needs from social interactions at the time.  Let me explain.  I am blessed to be friends or acquaintances with a wide variety of people.  There are SAHMs, single working women, poker buddies, motorcycling chums, fellow actuaries and, of course, my family.  When choosing who to spend time with, I often think of them in terms of food (perhaps this may be part of my weight issue....hmmmm) and what I need at the moment to nourish my soul.  For example, some friends are a big slice of chocolate cake.  They are fun and indulgent in all the right ways.  Other friends are more like a chicken breast and vegetables.  They may appear plain to others, but the time I spend with them makes me stronger and healthier.  Then there are my "chips and dip" friends.  They are spicy and tangy and just what I need when I want to be adventurous.

2 comments:

Jenny C said...

I love your metaphorical friend groups :)

Katie Lane said...

I like this post. I'm totally social impaired and there is some good advise here. thanks!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin