Friday, March 19, 2010

A New Life's resolution - Day #60 (Intellectual)

If you're just joining us, check out the explanation of my "New Life Resolution"

Day #60 - Intellectual
 
According to www.definitionofwellness.com, "The intellectual dimension of wellness encourages creative, stimulating mental activities. An intellectually well person uses the resources available to expand one's knowledge in improved skills along with expanding potential for sharing with others. An intellectually well person uses the intellectual and cultural activities in the classroom and beyond the classroom combined with the human resources and learning resources available within the university community and the larger community."
 
This week I've decided to do something a little different and totally steal an idea from a friend of mine that writes a blog called Your Pal, Jill. She is a wonderful writer that I went to college with. She's a huge fan of old-fashioned letter writing and all that that entails, so her blog is a series of letters to people/places/things she has messages for. Check her out because she's very witty!

The intellectual letter goes to quite a few people because of the intellectual influences they've had on me.

Dear Intellectual Influences,
     First, Mr. A., my 8th-grade teacher.  Thank you for cultivating an interest in current events, which I still enjoy learning about and staying up on.  Thank you also for telling us that there is a whole, big world outside of Fort Wayne at a time in our lives when we were beginning to think we knew everything (teenagers can be like that).  At the time I didn't believe you, but you were definitely right.  I could spend a lifetime seeing other people and places and still not see it all.
     Next, Mr. L, my high school math teacher.  You really kicked my butt.  I went into your class(es) feeling like math was the easiest thing I'd ever done and I never had to study for it.  You definitely changed my mind.  You challenged me to really think critically about things and to really seek out solutions.  Your POWs (Problems of the Week) were real killers, but I had such a sense of satisfaction when I actually began to be able to complete them.  Before your classes, math was boring, after....well, I'm an actuary, so you add it up!
     Finally, third is Troy.  I may never be able to put into words all the ways you have influenced me intellectually.  You've taught me how to have a political debate, how to research and remember details and facts.  You've shown me how things, people, events that I never thought had anything to do with one another are clearly related.  Dating you has turned me into someone who used to think with a "checkers" mind, but now thinks with a "chess" mind.  I'm better able to analyze and strategize in any given situation and I'm able to learn about myself and others through our daily interactions because I am truly paying attention.  Most of the time, anyway.  For those things, I will be eternally grateful.

With all my gratitude,
Heather

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin