Monday, March 15, 2010

A New Life's resolution - Day #57 (Physical)

If you're just joining us, check out the explanation of my "New Life Resolution"

Day #57 - Physical
 
According to www.definitionofwellness.com, "The physical dimension of wellness encourages cardiovascular flexibility and strength and also encourages regular, physical activity. Physical development encourages knowledge about food and nutrition and discourages the use of tobacco, drugs and excessive alcohol consumption. Physical Wellness encourages consumption and activities which contribute to high level wellness, including medical self-care and appropriate use of the medical system.
 
This week I've decided to do something a little different and totally steal an idea from a friend of mine that writes a blog called Your Pal, Jill.  She is a wonderful writer that I went to college with.  She's a huge fan of old-fashioned letter writing and all that that entails, so her blog is a series of letters to people/places/things she has messages for.  Check her out because she's very witty!
 
My first letter recipent this week will be my body, the center of my physical wellness.
 
Dear Body,
     Let me first start off by saying "thank you".  Despite my repeated criticisms of you, (things like how you love to hang onto every last calorie I give you in case we're ever in a famine situation and how you seem to be wrinkling in all the wrong places and don't get me started again on those grey hairs you've been pushing out of my head for the last decade!) you constantly bounce back!  When I crashed my motorcycle a few years ago and broke my arm and the doctor told me that I'd be as good as new in less than 6 months, I didn't believe him.  But you did it!  You healed beautifully and only remind me of how I did you wrong once in a while when the weather gets bad.  Even though I rarely give you enough rest and the fuel I feed you with is sometimes lacking, every day you rise and shine and still perform nearly every task I ask of you.
     I know that there are other people who are mean to you and don't appreciate you for the amazing structure that you are.  I'm sorry that I sometimes join with them in putting you down rather than sticking up for you.  I promise to try to do better about that.
     I also promise to take you out more often.  I know that you love it when we get out and walk the dog around the block or go to the gym and test you.  I know that you love it because you respond like a champ.  You get stronger and more energetic and can hardly wait for more.  I'll try to remember that the next time I want to keep you inside on the couch on a nice day.
     I hope that with the exception of those drastic measures I had to take a couple of years ago, we are both in this for the long haul.  Since that's the case, I say we make a pact.  I will feed you better, take you out more often and let you rest more if you will just keep being the amazing edifice you've always secretly been.
                                     With all my devotion and affection,
                                                        Heather

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin