Thursday, June 3, 2010

Call me Crazy

I am crazy.  I freely admit it.  I know others probably say it behind my back, but I think life is too short to go through it on a "normal" course.  There are just way too many things that might be completely and totally fun.  How will I know what those things are until I try them, right?


So, what makes me crazy this time?  I bought a kiddy carrier to pull behind my bicycle....for my dog.  It's okay.  I'll wait until you're done laughing.

Here's my explanation:  A great convergence occurred.  1)  I'm a big fan of multitasking and 2)  I've been on a kick to get some things crossed off of my list lately.  My most recent obsession is getting those 1000 miles ridden on my bicycle.  I could always head to the gym and ride them out on a stationary bike, but the weather here in Indiana is finally beautiful and I'm going to get out and enjoy it, darn it!  The only problem with going for a bike ride is that I'd love to take Sasha with me, but I'm afraid of her leash getting tangled up in my bike and bringing us both down.  Besides, she's not a very big dog (40 lbs) and despite her everlasting supply of energy, I didn't know how well she'd do running alongside me on a long bike ride.

So, I headed to Dick's Sporting Goods store and explained to the sales guy what I was looking for.  I was suprised to hear that lots of other people use those carriers for their dogs as well!  Perhaps I'm not as loony as I thought!

They've come a long way in the design of these carriers!  Once you attach the bracket to your bike (it stays on there and takes up very little room), you simply insert a toggle pin and you're ready to ride.


Sasha wasn't quite sure what to make of the ride at first and she REALLY didn't like the cobblestone road that I rode down, but she relaxed into it.  We rode from Troy's house in downtown Indianapolis up to the Broad Ripple area where there is a dog park.  Sasha was very excited to see all of the other puppies when we arrived and after an hour of playing at the park, she nearly fell asleep during the 6+ mile ride back to the house.

It was completely and totally a great afternoon!  When we got home that night, we both slept very well.  Even all those giggles I heard as other people passed us on the bike trail were well worth it.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin