Thursday, June 17, 2010

"Sex and the City" and summer motorcycling!


Wednesday night my girls and I went to check out the new(ish) "Sex in the City" movie.  As we nestled into our theater seats, we practically had the place to ourselves.  I know the critics have panned it, I actually enjoyed (most of) it.  I can honestly say that the writers have matured the characters of Miranda, Carrie and Charlotte (in a good way).  The three of them are each married to men who seemingly adore them.  Carrie is struggling with settling into married life with Mr. Big.  Miranda is trying to balance being a wonderful attorney with being an equally wonderful and attentive mother.  Charlotte is having a crisis of conscience as she tries to come to terms with the fact that her 2 lovely daughters, who she wanted so desperately for so long, are driving her insane!

One of my favorite scenes in the movie is where Miranda and Charlotte are comiserating about the difficulties of motherhood over a cocktail.  They both clearly love their children, but they are sometimes overwhelmed as well.  I'm certain that most mothers feel this sometimes.  So, while the writing might not be the most clever ever put to paper, the conversation seems genuine and cathartic for both of the women.

My heart also broke for Carrie as she called Mr. Big after an encounter with Aiden.  She is obviously in anguish and desperately needs a response from Mr. Big, which she's not receiving.  The angst she exudes is not of the teenage variety, but instead it is the genuine misery of realizing the consequences her thoughts and actions may have.  It was a great example of truly figuring out what we as women need and want.

HOWEVER....my one (huge!) gripe about the movie was Samantha.  While Miranda, Charlotte and Carrie had tender moments of insight and true feeling, Samantha seemed like more of a caricature.  Yes, she's always been bawdy and sexually forward, but things have gone waaaay too far in this movie.  I'm sure for some, it's what they've grown to love and expect from Samantha, but I guess I was kind of hoping that at 52, she would have matured a bit and learned something more than just how to stay hot enough to land a man.  Perhaps, as a single lady, I am too sensitive, but it's as if the writers couldn't come up with a plot line for a single woman that consisted of anything deeper or more interesting than chasing pants.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Moving on............

Some serious, mad, crazy props go out to Troy!  Summer is upon us and for me, that means riding season!  There's just something about the smell of the open road and the roar of the engine when you twist the throttle that makes all the worries of life just melt away.  I planned to ride my motorcycle to meet the girls for the movie, but when I went out to start the bike, it wouldn't turn over (DESPITE being on the battery charger for the last few days!).  Ugh.  My heart sank.  I knew it was time to get a new battery.  The problem was that it was 5:45 and I was pretty sure the bike shops would all be closing in the next 15 minutes AND I needed to get to the movie by 6:30.

After I called around to a few places, I finally found a battery for my bike in stock at Cycle Outfitters.  I had kept Troy apprised of the situation (I can totally take care of these things myself, but it's nice to have someone there to back you up).  He asked how late they were open (8 PM, woohoo!) and offered to go pick it up for me.  What a man!  Score!  By the time I got home from a lovely evening with the girls, he had prepped my bike so that he could show me how to install it.  (By the way, it was easy peasy and I totally could have figured it out on my own.  Still...it was very nice to have his help.)  Thanks to Troy's generosity, I was able to ride in to work the last few days!  Woohoo!

Speaking of motorcycling, I've had quite a few friends lately who expressed an interest in taking up motorcycling as a hobby.  So with the start of summer just a week away, I thought I'd take one day a week to talk about some of the things to consider when thinking about learning to "ride your own" in a series I'm calling "Ask Atgatt Girl".  Come back tomorrow for her first installment.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin