Friday, June 4, 2010

NOW - Furry love

This week I had my orientation for volunteering at the local animal shelter.  This could possibly be one of the most dangerous things I've ever done.

Oh, I'm not afraid of being bitten or attacked by a dog or cat.  No, the danger I fear is much greater.  I am in danger of falling in love with all of the shelter animals and ending up with a house full of cats and dogs!


Right now I have 2 cats (Phoebe and Munchkin), who are officially "geriatric", but I think they are quite spry!  I got Phoebe the day after I moved here to Indianapolis back in 1997.  She was the first cat I ever got and it never ceases to amaze me that she's already 13 years old.  It seems like just yesterday she was a 1 pound ball of fur that needed to grow into her gigantic ears.  Even though she is pretty youthful and I don't enjoy having to clean up her occasional mess, every day I catch myself sadly contemplating the day when she'll no longer be a part of my household.

I got Munchkin in 2000 a few weeks after another one of my cats got very ill and died suddenly.  At the time I was hurting and didn't want another cat, but she somehow came home with me anyway (thanks, Mom!) and now I'm very attached to the tempermental little girl.  She enjoys being petted, but her attitude can turn on a dime and if you're not careful, you could lose an appendage.  For some reason I have to convince other people that she's sweet.  Go figure!

And, of course, I have Sasha.

Clearly, 2 cats and one dog are MORE than enough for me in my little bungalow home.  I don't need any more.  CLEARLY.

The problem is I'm a softy.  I see those sweet eyes and furry faces (whether they are mine or at the shelter) and I want to pet them and protect them and make sure nothing bad ever happens to them.  To put it simply, I just melt.

So this is my chance to be strong and listen to the advice of the trainer who spoke to us at the shelter the other day.  He said, "Love them....here."  What better way is there to concentrate on the NOW?  Whether it's playing with Sasha at the dog park, snuggling with Phoebe and Munchkin in bed at night or walking the dogs at the shelter, I'm going to try to be in the "now".  I'm going to try to remember that worrying about the shelter animals finding a good home or fretting about when the end will come for my own pets only diminishes the joy I experience now.

Wish me luck and go give your pets some lovin's.

1 comment:

indystacey said...

Good for you! I thought about volunteering at the animal shelter, but shared your concern - that I would end up trying to bring home every animal in the place. I'm suspect it will be equally fun and heartbreaking.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin