Saturday, February 13, 2010

A New Life's resolution - Day #13 (Social)

If you're just joining us, check out the explanation of my "New Life Resolution"


Day #41 - Social


According to www.definitionofwellness.com, "The social dimension of wellness encourages contributing to one's human and physical environment to the common welfare of one's community. Social Wellness emphasizes the interdependence with others and nature. It includes the pursuit of harmony in one's family. As you travel a wellness path, you'll become more aware of your importance in society as well as the impact you have on nature and your community. You'll take an active part in improving our world by encouraging a healthy living environment and initiating better communication with those around you. You'll actively seek ways to preserve the beauty and balance of nature along the pathway."


In honor of Valentine's day this Sunday, this week is "Hugs, kisses and all my love" week! This week I'm going to share some of the things that rock my world and maybe make me Me.

The 3 things I love in the realm of the Social aspect of wellness are:


1)  Get-togethers with my girls.  I've talked a few times lately about my girlfriends and how important I think other women are as we grow older.  The group of women that I hang out with get together several times throughout the year even when our lives are hectic and crazy.  After all, what woman's life ISN'T hectic?  We see each other about once a month for the Book Babes book club.  Every February or March we gather for a day of guiltless eating and sappy movies.  Most of the time, during the fall we have a weekend away of sorts where we get out of town.  We've rented a house in southern Indiana, taken a cruise and even flown to Texas to visit some other girlfriends.  I may not see all of them all of the time, but I know they are there for me and I hope they know I'm there for them too.  Even better about this group is that, while we have a core group of girls, anyone is welcome.  We've opened our arms to many women throughout the years and our experiences are all the richer for having done so.


2)  Poker night with "the guys".  First, let me state the obvious.  Hanging out with the guys is MUCH different than hanging out with the girls.  There's not nearly as many crafts being done.  At the Chick Flick film Festival, I'm always crocheting.  I tried that once at the poker game.  Let's just say it was not received well.  Even without the crafting, there's a certain way that guys interact when women (apparently I've become "one of the guys") aren't around.  There's always sports on the TV at one of the games I go to.  The snacks brought are certainly not aimed at being health conscious (think beer and chips).  Some of the jokes and stories told are a little questionable at times (you know who you are, Rod).  But the conversations overall are usually pretty great and they've certainly made me a better poker player because I AM just one of the guys to them.


3)  Hangin' with Sasha at the dog park.  Seriously!  If you like dogs and haven't visited a dog park, you are definitely missing out.  Dogs are all id and the dog park is all about satisfying their id-y desires.  Wanna play with a ball?  SURE!  Wanna sniff another dog?  We've got plenty!  Wanna run and jump and romp until you can't go anymore?  Have at it!  Sasha loves the park and other dogs so much that we will be 1/2 a mile away and she's is practically bouncing around like a pogo stick.  Sasha loves the dog park.  I love Sasha.  Ergo, I love the dog park!  Besides, I take in a crazy bouncy pogo dog and I take home a cuddly, tuckered out bundle of fur.  It doesn't get much better than that.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin