Thursday, February 4, 2010

A New Life's resolution - Day #32 (Intellectual)

If you're just joining us, check out the explanation of my "New Life Resolution"


Day #32 - Intellectual

According to www.definitionofwellness.com, "The intellectual dimension of wellness encourages creative, stimulating mental activities. An intellectually well person uses the resources available to expand one's knowledge in improved skills along with expanding potential for sharing with others. An intellectually well person uses the intellectual and cultural activities in the classroom and beyond the classroom combined with the human resources and learning resources available within the university community and the larger community."

Part of paying attention and being connected to what's going on around me this week means to live up to my word, I think.

I have a great group of women that I get together with about once a month.  We call ourselves the Book Babes and we're a book club by trade, but essentially it's a reason to get out of the house and read some books that we might not otherwise consider reading.  We've been meeting for about 7 or 8 years (YIKES!) and I used to be really good at keeping up with the books.  In fact, I could sometimes be a stickler when someone else didn't want to discuss the book's ending because they hadn't finished it.

Alas, I fell off of the wagon a while back.  I won't mention how long ago because I don't want to embarrass myself too badly.  Let's just say it's been a WHILE since I've finished one of the books.  If I'm honest, it's been a while since I've started many of the books.  Somehow I always find a way to make myself busy with something else.  I really enjoy conversations that start from the subject matter in the books we read and unfortunately I know that my inability to finish a book has stunted that conversation for quite a while.

But this week I'm going to try harder.  I swear.  Our next book is "The Reader" which I actually read back when it was one of Oprah Books.  I promise I'm going to get to the library or Half-Price Books and pick it up.  I'm going to head to a coffee shop or shut down my blog window over a lunch hour (gasp!) and I'm going to read.  Maybe I'll even pick up the next Harry Potter book in my series and get to work on that one too.  I'd love to be able to cross something off of my list.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin