Saturday, February 6, 2010

A New Life's resolution - Day #34 (Social)

If you're just joining us, check out the explanation of my "New Life Resolution"

Day #34 - Social

According to www.definitionofwellness.com, "The social dimension of wellness encourages contributing to one's human and physical environment to the common welfare of one's community. Social Wellness emphasizes the interdependence with others and nature. It includes the pursuit of harmony in one's family. As you travel a wellness path, you'll become more aware of your importance in society as well as the impact you have on nature and your community. You'll take an active part in improving our world by encouraging a healthy living environment and initiating better communication with those around you. You'll actively seek ways to preserve the beauty and balance of nature along the pathway."


Today we spent another lovely day at the farm.  For her 11th birthday, Troy's niece, S, decided she wanted to bring a few friends for a weekend visit to see her grandparents' lovely farm.  That seems like a great gift to ask for, in my opinion.  Their house is always cozy and relaxing for me.  I assume that she feels the same.

As I've said before, Troy's nieces and nephew are really good kids and their behavor this weekend was a perfect example of exactly how well behaved they are.  They (the 3 older girls (age 10 or 11) as well as W (age 9) and A (age 6)) watched TV together, ate meals at the same table with one another and went sledding on the big hill.  At no point did I hear any arguments occur.  Somehow these kids have figured how to get along swimmingly.  I know that wasn't the case when I was younger and my little brother was around.  I was too cool to have him tagging along and there were ALWAYS arguments.

During this blissful weekend, the thing that occurred to me was exactly how important friends are to girls (of all ages).  There's a place in our hearts and our souls that our girlfriends fill in a way that no other playmates or friends can.  We can feel free to giggle or cry, play dress-up and swoon over the cute boys.  There's a freedom in being ourselves with our girlfriends whether we're silly or sentimental.

As we age, keeping those ties with other women becomes more and more important.  The other women in our lives are the ones we can go to when we need a shoulder to cry on, a casserole recipe or dating advice.

I'm fortunate enough to have quite a few amazing women in my life.  With these women I workout every week, read books every month, eat chocolate and take trips every year.  A few weeks from now will be time for our annual "Chick Flick Film Festival".  It's a day of sappy movies, tissues and lots of junk food.  I can hardly wait!

If you have women in your life that are special to you, let them know.

To all my girlfriends, thank for you being in my life.  I love you all.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin