Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A New Life's resolution - Day #38 (Spiritual)

If you're just joining us, check out the explanation of my "New Life Resolution"

Day #38 - Spiritual

According to www.definitionofwellness.com, "The spiritual dimension of wellness involves seeking meaning and purpose in human existence. It includes the development of a deep appreciation for the depth and expanse of life and natural forces that exist in the universe."


In honor of Valentine's day this Sunday, this week is "Hugs, kisses and all my love" week! This week I'm going to share some of the things that rock my world and maybe make me Me.


The 3 things I love in the realm of the Spiritual aspect of wellness are:


1) Fate, kismet, coincidence, the hand of God.  Whatever you want to call it, I love it when events transpire in such a way that I am reminded that perhaps all of the ways we "bump into" each other every day aren't merely accidental.  For instance, when I was leaving work the other day, I got into the elevator as I usually do and accidentally hit the button for the 20th floor rather than the 1st floor (they are very close together).  Now, I've been working in my current office for several months and I've never done that.  After I realized what I had done, I prayed that no one else would get on and see what I had done (these elevators are not very busy).  Of course, on the 25th floor a young man got on and of course, I felt the need to explain to him what I had done.  I made a comment that we would be making a brief stop on the 20th floor and we both chuckled.  As the doors opened on the 20th floor, a woman whose arms were loaded down with boxes and bag turned the corner on her way to the elevators.  She looked surprised and relieved to see that the elevator was standing there waiting for her.  My heart gave a little leap that I had "accidentally" helped someone without knowing it.


2)  Participating in events for charities.  I'm still a little bitter.  I admit it.  I never got into National Honor Society.  WHAT?!?!  GASP!!!  (I KNOW!)  Why didn't I get in?  Apparently I didn't have enough volunteer activities on my "resume".  Thankfully as an adult I've been able to change that.  I've participated in lots of walks for breast cancer charities including the Breast Cancer 3-Day, started helping build houses with Habitat for Humanity when I was in college and thoroughly enjoyed the Mutt Strut with Sasha last spring.  It's so great to get to help where and how I can.  I may not be rich, but I can walk and I can hammer in a nail or paint a wall and I can tell people all about the adorable dogs and cats available for adoption.  Helping to make the world a little better one person (or dog) at a time makes my spirit sing.....   Now, do you think I could contact the NHS and get them to reconsider my application?


3)  Singing hymns.  I have lots of doubts about organized religion, hypocrites mascarading as "christians" and all of that, but there are still parts of me that are that little lutheran girl on the inside.  I love singing.  I really do.  But I especially love singing hymns in church.  There's just something about the organ and the choir and the melodies that resonate with me.  The church that I go to with Troy is Methodist.  When I first started going there, that was thing that I didn't like.  They only sing 3 hymns during the entire service.  Can you even imagine?  We lutherans LOVE our singing and our hymnal.  We sing when we first get there and before and after we pray.  We sing before the sermon and before we depart the sanctuary.  Yep, we lutherans sure do love our singing.  .... I feel a song coming on, don't you?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin