Thursday, January 14, 2010

A New Life's resolution - Day #11 (Intellectual)

If you're just joining us, check out the explanation of my "New Life Resolution"

Day 11 - Intellectual

According to http://www.definitionofwellness.com/, "The intellectual dimension of wellness encourages creative, stimulating mental activities. An intellectually well person uses the resources available to expand one's knowledge in improved skills along with expanding potential for sharing with others. An intellectually well person uses the intellectual and cultural activities in the classroom and beyond the classroom combined with the human resources and learning resources available within the university community and the larger community."

I am a night owl.  I think I probably have been for most of my life.  Maybe it's because I was born at 2 AM.  That's apparently the magical reset time for me.  Most of the time, I really hit my stride at about 9:30 PM.   The US Army used to brag about getting more done before 9 AM than most people do in an entire day.  Well, they may rule the morning, but I am the Potentate of the PM!  This would be perfect if I worked a third shift job.  Unfortunately, most people (including myself) are awake during the day.  Then when you mix in the facts that 1) I am expected to arrive at work between 8 AM and 8:30 AM and 2) I have a LOT of interest/hobbies other than work, this is a recipe for a sort of constant exhaustion that seems to be taking its toll on my memory, concentration and ability to think and deal with complex issues like I used to be able.

So, in an effort to make up some of my lost intellectual fortitude, I'm going to attempt to get more sleep during this upcoming week.  I realize that "more" is a somewhat amorphous word (NICE word!), so perhaps I will try to be in bed no later than 10:30 on "school" nights and 11 PM on regular nights.  Given that I am routinely slipping between the sheets around 12 or 12:15, let's hope this extra hour + will reward me with a sharper mind and perhaps even a more rested spirit.

I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin