Saturday, January 16, 2010

A New Life's resolution - Day #13 (Social)

If you're just joining us, check out the explanation of my "New Life Resolution"

Day 13 - Social

According to www.definitionofwellness.com, "The social dimension of wellness encourages contributing to one's human and physical environment to the common welfare of one's community. Social Wellness emphasizes the interdependence with others and nature. It includes the pursuit of harmony in one's family. As you travel a wellness path, you'll become more aware of your importance in society as well as the impact you have on nature and your community. You'll take an active part in improving our world by encouraging a healthy living environment and initiating better communication with those around you. You'll actively seek ways to preserve the beauty and balance of nature along the pathway."

As I talked about yesterday, my mom and I try to get together at least once a month to work on our scrapbooking addiction hobby.  As I've grown older, it is increasingly clear to me that we are two very different people.  While she prefers not to argue with anyone, I feel better getting things out in the open and clearning the air.  She is angry in silence letting things boil up on the inside.  I get it all out most of the time - sometimes loudly.  She is very concerned about being nice even when someone is not nice to her.  This is not an affliction I have to deal with.

I realize I'm a grown woman and I've lived on my own for nearly 15 years, but it's taken me that long to be able to see that we are different and that that's OKAY!  Actually it's a good thing, I think.  After all, if we were all the same it would be a pretty boring place, wouldn't it.

So, not that I've been able to recognize and appreciate that we are not the same people, I think I can enjoy these weekends with her more.  While I myself don't do it, I can appreciate how she likes to save all (every last one!) of her paper scraps because she might use them.  This used to drive me crazy.  Now, it's just Mom.

I like to plan out my pages (sometimes entire albums) to nearly the nth degree before I cut one scrap of paper.  This can be time consuming and perhaps I could get more done if I didn't insist on doing that.  Mom is more of a "fly by the seat of your pants" kinda gal when it comes to scrapbooking.  Maybe there's something to be said for that.

I like for her time at my house to be a respite and a vacation from all the chores at home.  This weekend I tried to make sure I took care of as much of preparing our meals as I could  (Dad even pitched in!  GASP!).  For me, this was a way of pampering her.  She commented several times that she felt like a slug because she hadn't done anything.  That's her way.  She's used to caring for others.  I hope that over time she will feel more comfortable being cared for.

Today may not fit the complete definition for Social Wellness, but for me, making a true connection with another person and being able to be genuine with them fulfills my definition.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin