Friday, January 22, 2010

A New Life's resolution - Day #19 (Emotional)

If you're just joining us, check out the explanation of my "New Life Resolution"


Day 5 - Emotional

According to www.definitionofwellness.com, "The emotional dimension of wellness emphasizes an awareness and acceptance of one's feelings. Emotional wellness includes the degree to which one feels positive and enthusiastic about oneself and life. It includes the capacity to manage one's feelings and related behaviors including the realistic assessment of one's limitations, development of autonomy, and ability to cope effectively with stress. The emotionally well person maintains satisfying relationships with others."

Emotions are a slippery animal.  There are "crimes of passion", temporary insanity, "following the heart".  Given half a chance, I think sometimes our emotions can most certainly lead us down paths and dark alleys we never intended to explore.  For instance, this morning I definitely woke up on the wrong side of the bed.  Even though it was Friday and I'm usually overwhelmed at the excitement of a weekend ahead of me, I was mad.  Inexplicably, undeniably....mad!  For instance, which working with a client file that wouldn't cooperate with me (the pages kept refusing to stay open to the section I was looking at), I could have easily thrown it across the room or torn it in two ala The Incredible Hulk.  After all, you wouldn't like me when I was angry!

Then in the afternoon, my anger turned to exhaustion.  Perhaps that's why I was angry in the first place, huh?  Lack of sleep can have that effect on a person.  At least it can have that effect on me.  The problem with being exhausted was that I was supposed to go and work out that evening after work.  The mere thought was almost more than I could handle.

So, in the interest of my Emotional Wellness, I took the night off.  I picked up my puppy, grabbed dinner and settled in for an evening of rest.  Hopefully this will help me feel a little more emotionally stable.  At the very least, I should be more rested.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin