Saturday, January 30, 2010

A New Life's resolution - Day #27 (Social)

If you're just joining us, check out the explanation of my "New Life Resolution"

Day #27 - Social

According to www.definitionofwellness.com, "The social dimension of wellness encourages contributing to one's human and physical environment to the common welfare of one's community. Social Wellness emphasizes the interdependence with others and nature. It includes the pursuit of harmony in one's family. As you travel a wellness path, you'll become more aware of your importance in society as well as the impact you have on nature and your community. You'll take an active part in improving our world by encouraging a healthy living environment and initiating better communication with those around you. You'll actively seek ways to preserve the beauty and balance of nature along the pathway."

A few months ago I started clipping coupons.  Since then, it's been an interesting journey trying to find a routine that works for me.  Because of my personality traits (read: super anal-retentive tendencies), clipping and organizing and list-making could be a full-time job for me if I let it.  But that kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?  Clipping coupons is about saving money, not about spending loads of time.

Having seemingly struck a balance in my pre-shopping routine, I'm now running into the problem of "other shopper" pressure when I'm actually at the store.  I am a person who likes to take my time and do a thing right.  If that means it takes me a few more minutes in the aisle to find exactly what I'm looking for or in the check-out lane to make sure the items are scanned correctly, that is fine with me.  Apparently others don't appreciate this extra care that I take at the store.  I am seemingly cutting into their busy schedules some of the time.  (We're not talking a ton of time here either.  It might be an extra 60 seconds or so.)

So my task this week for my social dimension of wellness has been to work on knowing when to say "when" to the pressures of those other shoppers.  I want to be polite and considerate of their time, but I'm also there to save myself money.  Finding the balance between the two for me can be difficult since I'm such a people-pleaser and a frugal shopper.

What's your take?  Do you feel the eyes of those behind you in line staring a hole through you?  Are you able to block them out?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin