Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A New Life's resolution - Day #9 (Occupational)

If you're just joining us, check out the explanation of my "New Life Resolution"


Day 9 - Occupational

According to www.definitionofwellness.com, "The occupational dimension of wellness is involved in preparing for work in which one will gain personal satisfaction and find enrichment in one's life through work. Occupational development is related to one's attitude about one's work.' Traveling a path toward your occupational wellness, you'll contribute your unique gifts, skills and talents to work that is personally meaningful and rewarding. You'll convey your values through your involvement in both paid and unpaid volunteer activities that are gratifying for you. You'll know when you're on the correct path for career wellness, when your work and hobbies become exciting."

So, despite getting all of my ducks in a row last week for my annual review, it was, unfortunately, for naught.  The future of pension plans doesn't look very good (thanks a lot, congress!), so my boss is putting a freeze on raises right now.  Hopefully things aren't as bleak as he thinks they might be (fingers crossed!).  Luckily, there's still the bonus at the end of the year to look forward to and because I'm still officially a student, I get raises for passing exams.

In order to become a full-fledged Associate or Fellow of the Society of Actuaries (a BIG deal in my circles), you must pass a series of tedious, increasingly difficult exams which test your knowledge from basic math (calculus, trigonometry, linear algebra) to actuarial math (life contingencies, etc) to practical skills applying the current laws.  Basically, think the CPA exam on crack!...and there are 8 of them!

I took some time off from exam-taking to have a bit of a life (bought a house, learned how to ride a motorcycle, got a dog, etc etc), but I'd really like to get these things done.  I swear they are like a monkey on my back.  I have 4 exams under my belt right now, but there is this one that just keeps kicking my butt.  I swear I've taken it no less than 5 times.  Good news and bad news is that now that they've changed the laws, the exam changes completely too!

So, today as my act of Occupational wellness, I'm going to research what's on the new exam, gather some of the study supplies and bone up with a practice exam.  Maybe that way I can figure out what I don't know.  Ugh!  Wish me luck.

1 comment:

joanyspot said...

Go for it! I'll be rooting for you!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin