Friday, January 8, 2010

A New Life's resolution - Day #4 (Intellectual)

If you're just joining us, check out the explanation of my "New Life Resolution"


Day 3 - Intellectual

According to www.definitionofwellness.com, "The intellectual dimension of wellness encourages creative, stimulating mental activities. An intellectually well person uses the resources available to expand one's knowledge in improved skills along with expanding potential for sharing with others. An intellectually well person uses the intellectual and cultural activities in the classroom and beyond the classroom combined with the human resources and learning resources available within the university community and the larger community."

In many ways, the intellectual portion of the dimensions of wellness may be one of the easiest for me.  When I was younger, I did very well in school with very little effort.  Then as I aged, I think the combination of being rewarded for my intellectual pursuits as well as feeling like it was something I did well and that came easily to me, I kept up the pursuit of knowledge.  I love going to museums and watching "quiz" shows like Jeopardy.  The History Channel and Discovery Channel are always turned on at my house.  I LOVE factory tours and seeing how things are made.  (If you get a chance, check out how a combine works.  It's amazing!)

So, given that I try to immerse myself in intellectual pursuits on a daily basis, finding just one to concentrate on is a bit of challenge for me today.

Fortunately for me, that's where my list comes in!  One of the items on my list is to donate 1,000,000 grains of rice via http://www.freerice.com/.  It's a site where you get to donate 10 grains of rice (through their sponsors) for each vocabulary word that you get right.  For a while I was doing very well and right on track (I need to donate 1,000 grains per day).  Unfortunately, I feel off the wagon a while back and I'm currently about 55,000 grains behind.  So over the next week, I'm gonna try to catch up.  I may not make it all the way by next week at this time, but hopefully I'll at least have gotten that deficit down 25,000 or so.  Wish me luck and give it a try for yourself.  It's really easy and doesn't cost you a thing but a few moments of your time.

2 comments:

Cassie said...

Happy SITS Saturday sharefest!

Karen M. Peterson said...

I love the Free Rice website. It's so awesome. I work in a college and we encourage our basic math students to improve their skills by doing the math problems.

Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest!

Good luck with your goal. It is so selfless!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin