Friday, January 29, 2010

A New Life's resolution - Day #26 (Emotional)

If you're just joining us, check out the explanation of my "New Life Resolution"


Day #26 - Emotional

According to http://www.definitionofwellness.com/, "The emotional dimension of wellness emphasizes an awareness and acceptance of one's feelings. Emotional wellness includes the degree to which one feels positive and enthusiastic about oneself and life. It includes the capacity to manage one's feelings and related behaviors including the realistic assessment of one's limitations, development of autonomy, and ability to cope effectively with stress. The emotionally well person maintains satisfying relationships with others."

The interplay between the mind and memories and emotions is a fascinating thing to me.  The other day, as I reached into my freezer to get some ice cubes for my soda, out of the corner of my eye I spotted a can of orange juice concentrate.  It's a simple enough item, but in the blink of an eye, I was transported back in time nearly 30 years.  As I stood there with the cold air rushing down to my toes, I remembered all of those Saturday mornings as I child that my brother, Matt, or I would mix the orange juice concentrate and water in a brown tupperware pitcher.  Although Mom worked (at least) 2 jobs and most days we tended to kind of fend for ourselves with cereal for breakfast and reheated leftovers for dinner, early on most Saturday mornings you could find her up making us breakfast of pancakes, scrambled eggs with smoky links in them and always the juice.  We definitely didn't have much money, so I didn't even know juice came in something other than a frozen can until I was an adult.  But somehow looking back on those Saturday morning feasts, I don't remember any lack.  I only remember the swirling of that wooden spoon splashing all that orange goodness in that brown plastic jug.  To me that feels like home. 

Maybe that's why when I can afford the "good" stuff that's not from concentrate, I still keep that can of frozen juice in my freezer.

1 comment:

~Melody @ 6 Feet Over~ said...

ABSOLUTELY love this post...hits home for me, too. Let's just say that your frozen orange juice is my cream of wheat with brown sugar. Amazing how when you think of the special moments in your childhood, they are usually filled with things that cannot be placed with a price tag. Thank you for sharing.

~melody~

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin